Here, I’ll be collecting some of my current practices in mindfulness, meditation, and focus-building that help me attune my attention toward holiness and away from distraction.
If you are in the New York City area, I teach a weekly Jewish Meditation & Mindfulness class at Central Synagogue. All are welcome!
Articles I’m reading
Okay, okay, there’s a trend here. I swear I’m not a luddite, but the research is revealing what we already know to be true…
- The Power of Habit: Charles Duhigg at TEDxTeachersCollege
- Your smartphone is making you stupid, antisocial and unhealthy. So why can’t you put it down?
- It’s not you. Phones are designed to be addicting: The three design elements that make smartphones so hard to put down.
- Our Love Affair With Digital Is Over
- Keep Your Head Up: How Smartphone Addiction Kills Manners and Moods
- Should Apple be made responsible for making iPhones less addictive?
- Is Facebook Good for the World?
- Quit social media: Dr. Cal Newport
Books that have been helpful for me
- Everyday Holiness: The Jewish Spiritual Path of Mussar, by Alan Morinis
- This Is Real and You Are Completely Unprepared: The Days of Awe as a Journey of Transformation, by Rabbi Alan Lew
- Tomer Devorah: The Palm Tree of Deborah, Moses Cordovero
- The Handbook of Jewish Meditation Practices: A Guide for Enriching the Sabbath and Other Days of Your Life, by Rabbi David A. Cooper
- Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World, by Mark Williams and Danny Penman
Meditation Programs, Emails, and Daily Reminders